ICC Prosecutor issues statement on situation in CAR
Prosecutor of the International Criminal Court has issued the following statement concerning the current situation in Central African Republic:
“I remain deeply concerned about the continuing deterioration of the security situation and reports of serious on-going crimes committed in the Central African Republic (CAR).
The findings of the OHCHR Fact Finding Mission to CAR, which will be presented formally in the High Commissioner’s report to the Human Rights Council later this year, seem to confirm that crimes that may fall under the jurisdiction of the International Criminal Court continue to be committed in CAR, including attacks against civilians, murder, rape, and recruitment of child soldiers. I reiterate my previous calls to those responsible for committing these crimes to desist forthwith.
My office calls upon the international community to assist the Government of CAR in improving the security situation and in protecting civilians in Bangui and throughout the country. The upcoming meeting of the United Nations Security Council on CAR is an occasion for Governments to show support and demonstrate that CAR has not been forgotten by the international community. My office will do its part in investigating and prosecuting those most responsible for the commission of serious crimes, if necessary. Our past activities, notably the prosecution of Mr Jean-Pierre Bemba, have shown that we will not hesitate do so. My Office continues to closely monitor the situation and allegations of crimes under the Court’s jurisdiction.”
Last 5 posts by Student Editor
- International Criminal Court: Four People Arrested for Witness Tampering - December 2nd, 2013
- ITLOS orders release of 'Arctic Sunrise' - December 2nd, 2013
- Journal of International Criminal Justice: new issue - December 1st, 2013
- Call For Papers: Transitional Justice and Civil Society: Learning from International Experience - November 29th, 2013
- New issue of Netherlands International Law Review - November 29th, 2013