ICC Prosecutor issues statement on situation in CAR
Prosecutor of the International Criminal Court has issued the following statement concerning the current situation in Central African Republic:
“I remain deeply concerned about the continuing deterioration of the security situation and reports of serious on-going crimes committed in the Central African Republic (CAR).
The findings of the OHCHR Fact Finding Mission to CAR, which will be presented formally in the High Commissioner’s report to the Human Rights Council later this year, seem to confirm that crimes that may fall under the jurisdiction of the International Criminal Court continue to be committed in CAR, including attacks against civilians, murder, rape, and recruitment of child soldiers. I reiterate my previous calls to those responsible for committing these crimes to desist forthwith.
My office calls upon the international community to assist the Government of CAR in improving the security situation and in protecting civilians in Bangui and throughout the country. The upcoming meeting of the United Nations Security Council on CAR is an occasion for Governments to show support and demonstrate that CAR has not been forgotten by the international community. My office will do its part in investigating and prosecuting those most responsible for the commission of serious crimes, if necessary. Our past activities, notably the prosecution of Mr Jean-Pierre Bemba, have shown that we will not hesitate do so. My Office continues to closely monitor the situation and allegations of crimes under the Court’s jurisdiction.”
Last 5 posts by Student Editor
- Call for papers: Society for Environmental Law and Economics (SELE) 2015 Conference - September 14th, 2014
- Call For Papers: The Past, Present, and Future of the Palestine Mandate in International Law - September 12th, 2014
- Cambridge Journals Online: Newly Published Article(s) - September 10th, 2014
- Cambridge Journals Online: Newly Published Issue - September 10th, 2014
- ICC: Request for investigation into alleged Hamas war crimes - September 8th, 2014