Quick update on the International Court of Justice
Conference on the Compulsory Jurisdiction of the International Court of Justice
Judge Peter Tomka, President of the ICJ, gave an opening statement at a conference on the Compulsory Jurisdiction of the International Court of Justice held in Bucharest, Romania, on 4 February 2013. The full text of his speech is available here. Among others he noted that,
At present, 69 States out of 193 Member States of the United Nations have declarations in force recognizing the Court’s jurisdiction. Among the strongest supporters of the Court are Members of the European Union. Of its 27 Members, 21 have accepted the jurisdiction of the principal judicial organ of the United Nations by depositing a declaration under Article 36 (2) of the Statute with the United Nations Secretary-General. One Member State has pledged last September in the United Nations General Assembly to make such a declaration in the near future.
It is my hope that Romania, with its strong legal tradition and rich experience, will soon take its place among those European Union Member States that recognize the Court’s jurisdiction.
ICJ President speeches to the General Assembly and the Sixth Committee of the General Assembly
On 1 and 2 November 2012 respectively, Judge Tomka addressed the Sixty-seventh Session of the General Assembly of the United Nations and the Sixth Committee of the General Assembly. The full text of these speeches is available respectively here and here.
ICJ Annual Report 2011-2012
The 2011-2012 Annual Report of the ICJ is available here. During the reporting period, the Court delivered four Judgments in the following cases: Application of the Interim Accord of 13 September 1995 (the former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia v. Greece); Jurisdictional Immunities of the State (Germany v. Italy: Greece intervening); Ahmadou Sadio Diallo (Republic of Guinea v. Democratic Republic of the Congo), on the question of compensation owed to Guinea; and Questions relating to the Obligation to Prosecute or Extradite (Belgium v. Senegal). The Court also delivered an Advisory Opinion concerning Judgment No. 2867 of the Administrative Tribunal of the International Labour Organization upon a complaint filed against the International Fund for Agricultural Development.
New Deputy-Registrar elected
At a private meeting held on 11 February 2013, the International Court of Justice (ICJ) elected Mr. Jean-Pelé Fomété, of Cameroonian nationality, to the post of Deputy-Registrar. He will succeed Ms Thérèse de Saint Phalle, of American and French nationality, who will resign on 15 March 2013. For more information see here.
Last 5 posts by Gentian Zyberi
- Reminder: ADC-ICTY Annual Conference, “The Situation of Defence Counsel at International Criminal Courts and Tribunals”, 5 December - November 25th, 2015
- Conference on Energy Arbitration and Dispute Resolution in the Middle East and Africa, 7-8 March 2016, London - November 23rd, 2015
- PluriCourts Guest Researchers – Focus on the Environment and the International Judiciary - November 23rd, 2015
- MultiRights Project Final Conference: Reforms of the Individual complaint mechanisms in the UN treaty bodies and the European Court of Human Rights: Symptoms and Prescriptions – Mutual Lessons? - November 23rd, 2015
- CfP: 14th Annual Colloquium of the IUCN Academy of Environmental Law, Oslo, 20-25 June 2016 - November 17th, 2015