Obstacles of Citizenship – call for abstracts
The European Consortium of Political Research will hold its 2013 General Conference in Bordeaux, France.
One panel is “OBSTACLES OF CITIZENSHIP”
This panel explores why individuals decide not to participate in politics broadly conceived. It asks why citizens find it difficult to or choose not to become involved in a variety of citizenship practices, including (but not limited to) voting, joining political parties, unions and non-governmental organizations, and participating in protests and political consumerism. Important general topics for the panel include: free-riding; moral licensing; the social dilemmas of participation; the role of socialization, political opportunity structures, international and/or inter-personal trust in dampening or heightening a sense of responsibility for the common good among different groups of citizens; the importance of citizen literacy and role models for developing citizenship practices; the role of popular culture in triggering, guiding or discouraging citizens from actively participating in societal matters within their societies and globally; the ramifications of a lack of demos and a lack of sense of collective solidarity for activating citizen responsibility for the common good; and the phenomenon of citizen drop-outs. The panel welcomes papers that address these questions theoretically and/or empirically, within particular state contexts and/or comparatively. Papers that address the topic of free-riding and obstacles of citizenship in countries or areas of the world presently undergoing democratization processes (e.g., the MENA region) are particularly welcome.
The dealine for paper proposals is February 1, 2013, via the ECPR website, please click here.
Last 5 posts by Gentian Zyberi
- Lex Petrolea – Reality or Myth?, London, 21 June 2016 - May 20th, 2016
- 6th World Congress Against the Death Penalty, Oslo, 21-23 June 2016 - May 12th, 2016
- 12th Annual Conference of the European Society of International Law (ESIL), Riga, 8-10 September 2016 - May 12th, 2016
- 2016 Thessaloniki Summer Course, “International Environmental Governance: Contemporary Challenges and Prospects”, 27 June to 8 July 2016 - April 23rd, 2016
- Summer School on Sustainable Development and Decent Work, Turin, 22 August - 2 September 2016 - April 23rd, 2016