Obstacles of Citizenship – call for abstracts
The European Consortium of Political Research will hold its 2013 General Conference in Bordeaux, France.
One panel is “OBSTACLES OF CITIZENSHIP”
This panel explores why individuals decide not to participate in politics broadly conceived. It asks why citizens find it difficult to or choose not to become involved in a variety of citizenship practices, including (but not limited to) voting, joining political parties, unions and non-governmental organizations, and participating in protests and political consumerism. Important general topics for the panel include: free-riding; moral licensing; the social dilemmas of participation; the role of socialization, political opportunity structures, international and/or inter-personal trust in dampening or heightening a sense of responsibility for the common good among different groups of citizens; the importance of citizen literacy and role models for developing citizenship practices; the role of popular culture in triggering, guiding or discouraging citizens from actively participating in societal matters within their societies and globally; the ramifications of a lack of demos and a lack of sense of collective solidarity for activating citizen responsibility for the common good; and the phenomenon of citizen drop-outs. The panel welcomes papers that address these questions theoretically and/or empirically, within particular state contexts and/or comparatively. Papers that address the topic of free-riding and obstacles of citizenship in countries or areas of the world presently undergoing democratization processes (e.g., the MENA region) are particularly welcome.
The dealine for paper proposals is February 1, 2013, via the ECPR website, please click here.
Last 5 posts by Gentian Zyberi
- Opportunity to Study Privacy Law in Amsterdam, July 7-11, 2014 - March 25th, 2014
- Workshop on Methodological and Theoretical Perspectives in International Criminal Justice, 24-25 April, Oslo - March 13th, 2014
- Call for Papers: “Justice and Dignity under Challenge”, University College Cork, 5-6 June 2014 - March 1st, 2014
- Call for papers: Transnational Standards in the Domestic Legal Order: Authority and Legitimacy - February 27th, 2014
- 2014 International Humanitarian Law (IHL) Student Writing Competition - January 28th, 2014