Obstacles of Citizenship – call for abstracts
The European Consortium of Political Research will hold its 2013 General Conference in Bordeaux, France.
One panel is “OBSTACLES OF CITIZENSHIP”
This panel explores why individuals decide not to participate in politics broadly conceived. It asks why citizens find it difficult to or choose not to become involved in a variety of citizenship practices, including (but not limited to) voting, joining political parties, unions and non-governmental organizations, and participating in protests and political consumerism. Important general topics for the panel include: free-riding; moral licensing; the social dilemmas of participation; the role of socialization, political opportunity structures, international and/or inter-personal trust in dampening or heightening a sense of responsibility for the common good among different groups of citizens; the importance of citizen literacy and role models for developing citizenship practices; the role of popular culture in triggering, guiding or discouraging citizens from actively participating in societal matters within their societies and globally; the ramifications of a lack of demos and a lack of sense of collective solidarity for activating citizen responsibility for the common good; and the phenomenon of citizen drop-outs. The panel welcomes papers that address these questions theoretically and/or empirically, within particular state contexts and/or comparatively. Papers that address the topic of free-riding and obstacles of citizenship in countries or areas of the world presently undergoing democratization processes (e.g., the MENA region) are particularly welcome.
The dealine for paper proposals is February 1, 2013, via the ECPR website, please click here.
Last 5 posts by Gentian Zyberi
- PluriCourts Fellowships for 3-12 months in 2015 - 2016 - December 8th, 2014
- Reminder ESIL 2015 Annual Conference: 'The Judicialization of International Law - A Mixed Blessing ?', Oslo, September 10-12, 2015 - December 8th, 2014
- CfP: EU law and Risk Regulation, 19-25 April 2015, Inter University Center, Dubrovnik - October 30th, 2014
- “Children & International Criminal Justice” at Georgia Law features ICC Prosecutor, dozens of other experts (28 October 2014) - October 1st, 2014
- Journal on the Use of Force and International Law: New Issue - September 25th, 2014